Friday, July 15, 2011

Tax haven Jersey: governed by the rich, for the rich

From today's edition of the Jersey Evening Post. This is not an isolated case: we hear similar messages coming from Bermuda and Cayman.

Letters to the Editor

Island governed by the rich, for the rich

July 15, 2011 – 3:00 pm

From Sonia Nightingale.


ABOUT half a million has been spent so far this year on pay-offs for civil servants and £7.5 million last year.

I no longer shout and scream at these headlines in your paper – I just cry.

Where is the fairness of it all? I am a 74 year old Jersey born single pensioner struggling to exist. I have worked all my life, but because my two small pensions (one of which isn’t index-linked, so is rapidly decreasing in value) just take me into the income tax bracket, I get no financial help whatsoever. The small amount I was allowed in rent rebate has now also been stopped.

I also read that the WEB chief executive’s total package for 2010 has fallen by £20,000, to £266,540. My heart bleeds for him, how can he manage?

I am trapped here in the Island of my birth. I love it, incidentally, but hate what is happening to it now.

Jersey is governed by the rich for the rich.

Article posted on 15th July, 2011 - 3.00pm


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home